Before the playoffs started, pretty much every preview I read circled two must-watch series: the Nashville v. Detroit series, and the Pittsburgh v. Philadelphia series. So of course the NHL would schedule the games to be at the exact same time. As a result, I've only been able to watch bits and pieces of the Pennsylvania Powder Keg (registered trademark). That's too bad, because I would love to watch that series. Yeah, I guess I could record the game and watch it later, but thankfully, I'm not that far off the hockey deep end.
But in the short times I've been able to watch the Pens-Flyers, a strange thing has happened. I've found myself cheering for the Flyers. How is that possible? Philly has been on my short list of hated teams for pretty much as long as I can remember (OK, it's more like a moderate to long list). But for some reason, I find myself pulling for them. I'm not someone who can watch a game and just sit unbiased. I have to choose sides. We'll, I've never tried watching Rangers-Pens, that might do the trick.
The weird thing is, I've gotten over my Crosby hate. I can no longer look past the singular skill and deep passion with which he plays the game. Yeah, he bitches a lot. Yeah, he takes cheap shots. Yeah, he'll do anything to win. But you know who used to bitch at the refs and slash and bend the rules from time to time? Steve Yzerman. But Yzerman was just being competitive and showing leadership, right? I honestly don't see much difference. I know those last few sentences have probably just gotten me excommunicated from the Church of the Winged Wheel. But it's the truth. Who was Crosby's favorite player growing up? Gretzky? Lemieux? No way. Steve Yzerman.
What I don't like is that the NHL has a double standard with Crosby and the Pens. He gets away with more. He gets on TV more. The broadcast teams all fawn over him as this "aw-shucks, I'm just here to play 110 percent" hockey idol. And that's hard to take when you've got two eyes that see the way he actually plays the game. The Pens play a dirty style. They're the type of team that has to "send a message" when the game is out of reach. And I just don't respect that.
Of course, isn't that exactly the kind of team Philadelphia has been known to be pretty much since they joined the NHL? Well, sort of. Now when I watch them play, I see a highly skilled squad that will take the body, but they can pick you apart like a surgeon too. They have so much skill and youthful exuberance and just plain likable players. They've got Giroux, they've got Jagr. And they've got insane Bryzgalov. And maybe craziest of all, I find I like Scott Hartnell. That dude busts his ass. He's a classic unattractive hockey player whose hair choices only make things worse. Plus, he pulled out the best taunt of the season after that big brawl a couple weeks ago against the Penguins.
So yeah, I guess I'm pulling for the Flyers. What the hell is happening?
Adam I think you are right to compare some of Crosby's traits to Yzerman but not the hacking, cheep shots, and lack of respect for his foes. Yzerman was always the gentleman and respected the competition and gave them their due. Crosby would be better served to shut up, play clean and let his skill do the talking.
ReplyDeleteYou may be right, Crosby probably does play more over the line. But I seem to remember Yzerman was not above using a BC two-hander from time to time. On my list of things to do if I ever have time is to start picking up some of those Red Wings championship DVDs. I'd love to go back and rewatch some of those classic games from the 90s.
ReplyDelete