Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Self-serving Red Wing Fans Guide to the Rest of the Playoffs

So, now that my team has gone so meekly into the night, it's time to pick up the pieces and figure out who to cheer for as the playoffs continue. To be clear, it's not an option for me to watch hockey passively and cheer for a good match. So here's a look at the current series, who I'll be pulling for, and my reasoning.

Panthers v. Devils


This series may well be a preview to round two of the playoffs. With so many high-skill teams being eliminated in round one, the conference semi-finals will feature a lot of match-ups about as compelling as this one. So who do I want to move on? On the one hand the Panthers are in Miami, have about seven fans and should probably be moved to Canada. They pretty much represent the boondoggle of Gary Bettman's over-expansion that diluted the talent in the league and lead to a canceled season. On the other hand there is the squad from New Jersey, a franchise that won three titles over the past 17 years and was once considered a power house club. This one is a no-brainer: the Panthers. Yes, they've been a laughing-stock for more than a decade and if they win it's possible no one will notice. (Though Miami does flock to a winner). The problem is, I will never forgive the Devils for sweeping the Wings in 1995 and, more importantly, leading the clutching-and-grabbing charge. Also, I figure, the earlier the Devils go out, the better the chances that Zach Parise stays healthy and bolts for free agency.

Bruins v. Capitals


The defending champions against the chronic underachievers. This one is easy. I've always been a big fan of "enigmatic" Russians. Also, the Bruins are just not very likable. Tim Thomas' act has worn thin and it would be nice to see him beat by rookie netminder. But I think the Caps may have blown their chance to advance with the OT loss in game six.

Rangers v. Senators


This is also an easy one. This is hockey and Canada should have a team in the playoffs for as long as possible. And James Dolan owns the Rangers. Let's go Senators!

Blues v. Kings


As I once heard on a radio broadcast of a Blues game, defense isn't just something you put around your house. Of the 16 teams in the playoffs, these two teams gave up the fewest (Blues: 165) and the second fewest (Kings: 179) goals in the regular season. And when it comes to offense, neither team will be confused for the 1980s Oilers. The Blues scored 210 goals in the regular season (14th among playoff teams) and the Kings were not only last among playoff teams with 194 goals, but only one other team in the entire NHL scored fewer goals this season. So this is a long way of saying that this one is likely to be one of those series where first team to one wins. These games are going to be three-hour long heart attacks for fans of these two teams. I do not envy them. Still, I know a few Blues fans ans strangely, I'm actually kind of glad this team is good again. St. Louis is an actual hockey town with passionate, knowledgeable sports fans. So Blues it is.

 Coyotes v. Predators


Phoenix will have home ice, but Nashville might be the favorite to come out of the Western conference now. Nashville has balanced scoring, two of the best defenders in the league and a monster of a goalie. They also do all the minor league hockey crap that I can't stand; cheerleaders, ice girls, chanting a players name followed by "you suck," the list goes on. On the other side is a team owned by the NHL, winding down the clock until it's eventually relocated. Still, out of pure self-interest, I have to pull for the Coyotes. The earlier the Preds exit, the less money they make, meaning it's more likely the team cuts back payroll, increasing the odds that Suter or Weber eventually walks to free agency.

No comments:

Post a Comment