Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Nothing beats the playoffs

One thing I love about the playoffs is that it seems like every year there are games that will live on in the annals of hockey lore. there is just nothing better in sports than NHL playoff overtime.


Here's a few thoughts following the first round.

San Jose and Los Angeles


When I was considering my cup favorites I was tempted to call out the Sharks as a dark horse. My reservation was the difficult path they would need to travel to get there. They are a strong puck possession team (9th in Fenwick close for the season) and seemed to take off after trading Ryan Clowe and Douglas Murray. Still, I didn't expect a sweep of the Canucks. The teams were relatively close in puck possession during the series and at even strength where the Sharks won the battle 8-6. The Sharks turned the series into a sweep on special teams where they steamrolled the Canucks 7-2.

This sets up an interesting series with the defending champs. The Kings certainly needed some luck to get passed St. Louis. The Kings only out-scored the Blues by two goals in the series (12-10) but that razor thin margin was enough to win the two extra games need to take the series. That match-up easily could have been a conference final.

While I'm sticking with the Kings as my cup pick, I think San Jose's offense gives them a real shot at advancing. In round one, the Sharks scored three more goals than the Kings in two fewer games. Much like the Blues-Kings series was an intense, exciting series in the first round, I think this could be the one to watch in round two (if you can stay up that late.

Boston and New York


Similar to the San Jose Sharks, I thought the Rangers might be ripe to make a run as a low seed.  The Rangers were strong in puck possession (ranked 7th in Fenwick Close for the season) and generally played below expectations. Plus they have Henrik Lundqvist, that guy who just closed out games 6 and 7 without giving up a goal. It will be interesting to see how they match up with Boston.

The Bruins were the best Eastern Conference possession team, but despite their insane heroics to come back to win a series that should have never gone seven games to begin with, injuries may make them ripe for an upset. Wade Redden, Andrew Ference, and Dennis Seidenberg all appear questionable for the start of round two and that could really decimate the blueline. In the Bruins favor is the fact that they won despite a disappearing act by their top two scorers, Brad Marchand and Tyler Seguin. If that duo can get hot against King Henrik, it may not matter if the defense resembles an AHL squad. The Rangers just might not have the goal scorers to keep up. Though this is a classic Original Six matchup, I can't help feel bored by this series. New York and Boston play all the time, in every sport. Not to mention these two teams are owned by two of the most vile owners in hockey.

Pittsburgh made a huge upgrade




The fact that the Penguins were finally willing to sit Marc-Andre Fluery is like a team getting a 40-goal scorer back from injury. At this point, they should be the overwhelming favorite to come out of the East. The only thing that could stop them is if for some reason they go back to Flower. If the Penguins don't buyout Flower in the off-season (or unload him on an idiotic team) Ray Shero should be banned from ever winning the GM of the Year award (for which he is currently a finalist).

Goodbye, Ducks


I saw this team as a mirage, so I fully expected my Wings to beat them. Still, it disturbed me that it took seven games. I think this team is much closer to the lottery team of last season than the No. 2 seed of this year. And their cap issues starting next season are only going to get worse, meaning the thin roster is going to get thinner. One thing I will say, Ryan Getzlaf impressed me in this series. I hate his smirks and think he lets his temper prevents him from being the leader he could be. (Credit to Winging It In Motown for this excellent gif)

 photo tumblr_mk75ebVQPk1rqhbsko2_400.gif

But he gained my grudging respect (it only took watching him play Detroit in the playoffs three times). He's one guy who might actually earn his contract for a few years. And the Ducks are going to need that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment