Monday, April 22, 2013

10 short thoughts on the Wings-Coyotes game

Just wanted to share a few observations from tonight's game.

  1. The in-game crew for NBC Sports called Shane Doan one of the best leaders in the NHL of all time. Unfortunately, I was the only one around to enjoy my spit take.
  2. I really can't stand Pierre McGuire, but the fact that he relayed Shane Doan's trash talk to Justin Abdelkader was fantastic. "You play on a line with Datsyuk and Zetterberg and you only have 11 points? You should be ashamed." Indeed.
  3. That being said, this might have been the best game I've seen from Abdelkader in a long time. He was hitting everything in sight, causing turnovers, going hard to the net and got into the head of the Coyotes. He was basically what you'd wish Jordan Tootoo would be.
  4. Speaking of, is it possible Tootoo has a concussion? He just has not looked very sharp. He seems to always be a little off on his hits. I would not be shocked if something is not right with him.
  5. Who is bringing that stupid train whistle? That person should be banned, leave that crap in Nashville.
  6. Dan Cleary is still the worst. I know it's too much to hope that Holland does not sign him after the season, but please let it be for a cheap, one-year contract (and not three years with a number starting with a two). I will be ecstatic the first time I read the words "Daniel Cleary: Healthy scratch." 
  7. I'm starting to like this Andersson, Brunner, Nyquist line. They've got speed, creativity and backcheck like crazy.
  8. Speaking of strong rookies: That Danny Dekeyser is giving me Ericsson rookie playoffs flashbacks. I still can't believe Detroit is playing five rookies, all in pretty significant roles.
  9. Doan, the Coyotes' top scorer, taking himself out of the game for 4 minutes late in the third period with the season on the line is the kind of thing that cements you as one of the all time greatest NHL leaders. Sadly, Mike Milbury blasted him for this idiocy, which means he and I agree. Yikes.
  10. Datsyuk passing up a sure goal so Abdelkader could then fail to score on the empty net was perfect.

1 comment: